Group Coaching (Action Learning)
We offer dynamic and powerful personal and professional development using a group coaching format based on the Action Learning Philosophy.
Learning from ‘real-life’ situations
Action Learning ( as developed by Professor Reg Revans) is based on the concept of ‘learning by doing’; in a nutshell, advocates of Action Learning believe that people learn best from trying things out in practice and reflecting on what happens as a result of their actions and why. So the basic format is that participants:
- Set themselves a specific goal they want to achieve
- Take some initial actions to reach the goal
- Reflect on what has happened in an “Action Learning Set”
These Set Meetings are usually for around six to nine participants; happen once a month, over a six-month period and are facilitated by an external group coach.
A flexible, targeted approach to development
The focus for the Action Learning can be adjusted to achieve specific organisational aims. For example, it is commonly used to help people prepare for a promotion, in which case all the participant’s goals are based on a career development objective. However, the model is highly flexible e.g. the goals could be based on responding to key points from a performance appraisal; taking action in response to 360 degree feedback; implementing a restructure or leading a change management initiative etc.
The Action Learning Equation
The “Action Learning Equation”, explains how Action Learning brings about personal growth and promotes change. It is:-
L= P + Q + A + R + A
- L (learning or personal growth) and that is a function of:
- P (programmed knowledge; the things that are well-known and can be taught in the traditional way)
- Q (questioning insight; the knowledge gained from questioning what is happening and adapting existing knowledge to new, unusual or changing circumstances)
- A (action; trying something out to see what will happen)
- R (reflection; stepping back and reviewing what results are being achieved and why they are occurring)
Read more about The Boulden Approach to Action Learning
Further information is available by contacting Boulden at:
Tel UK: 0844 394 8877 Tel international: +44 1788 475 877